1. You're seeing this notice because your currently a guest. By taking the time to register you'll unlock access to features such as the creating threads, posting replies, sending private messages, and commenting to articles at Huntingne.com.

Once you've registered you'll have to activate your account which your able to do by checking your e-mail to which you registered to (if you didn't receive your e-mail) try checking your spam folder.

Once you've registered this notice will disappear.

Zebco 808 ???

Discussion in 'BowFishing' started by stykbow67, May 4, 2012.

1. stykbow67 New Member

Hey all, I had a buddy at work give me a 10-12 yr old Zebco 808 that's never been used. Would this be something I could use for a bowfishing reel? it seems a little cheesy, all plastic housing and not very smooth operating. If so what kinda line should I put on it and should I put it on my daughters boyfriends bow and use him as a test dummy first! hehehe!!
    Thanks, Steve
  2. Force Feed BON Board of Director

The 808 works pretty darn good for a bowfishing reel for awhile. There are a couple things to keep in mind when using it or any spincast. First use Fast Flight line 200lb or less, second before each use dose the line with silicone lube like " Reel Magic. The silicone lube is the most important thing to do before each outing. Unscrew the cap and spray the lube directly onto the line until saturated. This keeps the line flowing smoothly all day and saves the reel's gears from the line becoming tangled. I usually go through a couple 8O8's a year.
  3. Krag1902 Member

You may not have the 808 Bowfisher if it's twelve years old. If that's the case, you'll want to invest in either an 808 Bowfisher which is designed for bowfishing, or a Muzzy. In the '80's, I used a standard 808 for a while and had no end of trouble.
  4. goose h8r Well-Known Member

I know guys that use the hell outta 808s but i never liked them. I use the muzzy spincasts instead and are pretty damn bullet proof, as far as spincasts are concerned. I got some line from force feed to try out and its amazing stuff, just dont know what it is...similar to powerpro. Very little drag on the arrow, can really reach out and wack em when fish are spooky. The downfall is gar, if you shoot through em their scales might cut the line.
  5. HeadHunter Well-Known Member

Buy a bottle and never look back. The only thing I've had to do over the years is tighten it down to the bow and get the line wet before I shoot and it's good to go. I don't understand why anyone would want to shoot a spinner. Just my opinion.
  6. Force Feed BON Board of Director

Had a bottle but didn't like no drag and all the line flowing out when I didn't want it to. But they do work.
  7. stykbow67 New Member

Actuually i've used AMS retreivers for several years and was just wanting to try something different and after following Force Feeds advice I ended u buying a 808 Bowfisher from Wolfs Tackle in Lincoln and can't believe how sweet it works!!
    Thanks for all the replys.

Steve
  8. Willhuntforfood Well-Known Member

Just make sure you push the button.... lol
    BlastnCast16 likes this.
  9. Sorny BON Board of Director

Because I can shoot 3 times for every 2 you can, maybe more... and thats important when you miss as much as I do!!

There has been 3 or 4 zebcos on my boat, they are all now on the bottom of random lakes and rivers throughout the midwest... because they are junk and they break alot. Get a muzzy and don't look back!
  10. buck25 New Member

i agree 100 % I can shoot almost twice as fast as my friends with bottles i would never go back to a bottle. Just bought a muzzy this year though and it broke...bought another one the year before and that one is still going strong.
  11. buck25 New Member

I would also recommend buying the straight shooter rod when using a spincast reel. It helps keep the line from getting tangled and speeds up your follow up shot even more. Another thing that i would recommend is buying arrows with out safety slides when using spincast reels. Just tie the line through the hole in the back of the arrow. The reason you do this is because when you forget to pull the trigger the arrow will pull off the line when you draw back instead of you shooting the arrow and losing it. It works very well.
  12. HeadHunter Well-Known Member

Had nothing but trouble with my damn bottles this year... There is one at the bottom of Gavin's if anyone is looking for a used one.... I am putting my order in now for a muzzy reel, gonna give her hell. Does it come with line Sorny?
  13. HeadHunter Well-Known Member

I lied... I couldn't do it. I bought another damn bottle....
  14. Labwhisperer Active Member

Damn HH got a bottle I would have sold ya for cheap. Never did like em. The reel is very nice and dont have all that extra line flying out. The drag on reel helps too.
  15. Sorny BON Board of Director

No they don't come strung with fast flight. But if you order from Backwater Bowfishing you can choose to have them string it up for you. Use 200# fast flight!!
  16. Krag1902 Member

I've had a couple of Zebcos that I've used the factory line before switching to Fast Flite. It is about 80 pound test and I think it was a lawyer's dictate to spool something that will break if one forgets to push the button, which is what is going to happen. I learned this the hard way.
  17. HeadHunter Well-Known Member

I already ordered another funking bottle... I couldn't buy the spinner... I am comfortable with a bottle. Maybe if we ever get out, I will give yours a try and you can sell me that way.