1. You're seeing this notice because your currently a guest. By taking the time to register you'll unlock access to features such as the creating threads, posting replies, sending private messages, and commenting to articles at Huntingne.com.

Once you've registered you'll have to activate your account which your able to do by checking your e-mail to which you registered to (if you didn't receive your e-mail) try checking your spam folder.

Once you've registered this notice will disappear.

Santee Sioux Reservation

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by TxBowhunter, Jun 17, 2009.

1. TxBowhunter New Member

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has any information on deer hunting on the Santee Sioux Reservation for deer. I have been invited on a trip by a friend and was wondering about the quality of deer, Re: B&C of the deer there. Any information about deer hunting there would be great. Its a long drive from Texas for a immature buck.
  2. If you are coming up here from Texas to try for a trophy deer on the reservation, I suspect you will be disappointed with what you see up there.
  3. fastangler1 Member

I dont think you will be dissapointed at all. I have hunted reservations before and i saw alot of 4 and 5 year old deer. The thing is usually u have to pay around 500 dollars to hunt the res and not many people want to fork that kind of money out so alot of those deer stay in that area and grow huge.
    Just my two cents.
  4. I believe the deer permits are $100 or $125. I've hunted turkey on the reservation for the past 15 years and granted, they may have dropped their antlers by then. But we have never seen a "trophy" deer or found a shed of any size.

Just giving my opinion. Otherwise, it is great looking country and I love the trip.
  5. bowonly Well-Known Member

Nice country, wouldnt drive all the way from Texas do try for a mature buck though.
  6. I agree 100% with you NECoyoteHunter, I too have hunted the Santee and while it may be good hunting in that immediate area, a trophy hunt it is not. In my experience a hunt on the Winnebego Indian Rez or Macy Indian Rez would offer a much better chance at a P&Y and quite possibly a B&C calliber buck.
  7. bowonly Well-Known Member

Id stay away from reservations regardless, they get an extreme amount of pressure especially the Santee. I have hunted the Santee for turkeys and it looks like it would hold a lot of birds and it does problem is the game stays on the private side of the fence most of the time.