1. You're seeing this notice because your currently a guest. By taking the time to register you'll unlock access to features such as the creating threads, posting replies, sending private messages, and commenting to articles at Huntingne.com.

Once you've registered you'll have to activate your account which your able to do by checking your e-mail to which you registered to (if you didn't receive your e-mail) try checking your spam folder.

Once you've registered this notice will disappear.

Pickled Carp

Discussion in 'The Huntingne Chuckwagon' started by 2labs, Feb 26, 2008.

1. 2labs New Member

I had to get this out for someone else today, & with the open water season approaching, I thought I'd pass this old family recipe on for you carp lovers. My dad used this recipe & loved to tell people they were getting P. herring & then tell them it was carp after they were eating it. It was good though.

My Dads Recipe for Pickled Carp:

Some of this I cannot translate, as he knew what he meant & it was written for him.

1 pt vinegar
    1 pt water
    3tbs sugar
    1tbs salt
    1/4 cp mixed pickling spice (tied in a bag)
    1/4 cp lemon juice or 4 slices of lemon

Scale & wash carp. Cut in serving size pieces. Mix vinegar, water, sugar, salt, & pickling spices. Boil for 30 min. Add the lemon or juice & cook 5 more min. Then remove lemon slices if used. Add fish to hot liquid a few pieces at a time. Don't crowd it in the kettle as the meat falls apart easily. Simmer until a fin can be pulled out. Pack fish in clean widemouth jars with slices of onion. Pour the hot liquid over the fish to cover. Do not seal jars. Just cover loosely with caps.After they are cooled they may be sealed. Refrigerate for 3 days min. before using.
  2. skunkhunter Well-Known Member

Same ingredients, but add a tablespoon of ketchup to each jar, I defy anyone to tell me it ain't salmon. For big batches I pressure can the raw fish for 90 minutes at 10lb of pressure. They will keep forever and the bones dissolve.