1. You're seeing this notice because your currently a guest. By taking the time to register you'll unlock access to features such as the creating threads, posting replies, sending private messages, and commenting to articles at Huntingne.com.

Once you've registered you'll have to activate your account which your able to do by checking your e-mail to which you registered to (if you didn't receive your e-mail) try checking your spam folder.

Once you've registered this notice will disappear.

Muzzleloader Scopes

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by NatureChaser, Nov 20, 2009.

1. NatureChaser Member

Pondering the purchase of a scope for my ML. Perhaps this topic has been discussed before, if so, please link the thread; I was unable to track anything down with the Search feature. While I'm interested in all information regarding ML scopes, not limited to reviews/recommendations. I would most like some information regarding the difference between a scope labeled for ML's and just a typical rifle scope. Is this something merely to do with shock? If so is it a valid claim? Seems some modern day ML's shoot with not much more of a jolt than some regular rifles, also seems that if ML scopes are really built "tougher" they'd be a better option for any rifle, ML or not.

2. Yellab BON Board of Director

Exactly.

Some fishing lures are manufactured to catch fish, some fishing lures are manufactured to catch fisherman. Muzzleloader scopes are just a way to tap into a niche of an expanding market.
  3. Shorty Active Member

I think the primary thing to look for in a ML scope is good eye relief. Getting kicked in the forehead with a scope is not fun, at least that's what my wife tells me.

I would be surprised if ML scopes are built any "tougher" than regular rifle scopes. The marks on a BDC (bullet drop compensating) scope may be different for a ML compard to a regular rifle scope.
  4. DrewArtist Active Member

This is some information I need as well. I am looking into scoping my muzzleloader and confused at all the choices. I hate to ask the clerks at the shops because they always point me at the highest dollar scope on the shelf. I get it higher the price better quality; I just don’t have $800+ dollars to put on a $250 muzzleloader. Plus all the magazines out now don't seem to have any good reviews; they all seem to be indorsed advertisements.

So I have boiled down my choices to Nikon and Bushnell.

The Nikon Omega or the ProStaff, both in 3-9x40.
    &
    The Bushnell, which have way to many choice, between the Banner, Sportsmen, Trophy, Legend and DOA.

I just want a good 3-9x40 with good eye relief and good glass for low light conditions. Oh man my head hurts….
  5. Evenflow Member

I have a cabela's powderhorn muzzleloader scope. It has the bdc lines just like the nikon scope, except for waaaay cheaper! This scope has pretty good reviews and I'm happy with it. The scope is dead on at 100 yards and the bdc lines are accurate at 200 yards...I can not wait until muzzleloader season! I would look at this scope very hard before plopping down the extra money for a leupold or nikon scope.
  6. andersm1142 Member

Probably the best scope for the money out there is the burris fullfield II 2-7x35 scope with the ballistic plex reticle. Cabelas sells them for $170. They can sometimes be bought cheaper on e-bay. That scope is the perfect range of magnifaction for a muzzleloader and the ballistic aiming points are helpful should you need to take a longer shot. The Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 would work as well but I am partial to the 2-7 power scopes for muzzleloaders. You can probably find cheaper scopes like Tasco, Simmons, Bushnell, etc that would probably work too but you are certainly giving up lots of optics quality and low light capibility and you are certainly rolling the dice as far as dependbility. For just a bit more money, it is certainly worth it to get the quality and dependibility of a Burris and their lifetime warranty is one of the industries best. After the Burris, I'd consider a Leupold rifleman or a VX-I. The Nikon Monarch scopes are really good as well but may be bit out of your price range. Something more expensive is probably really not necessary for typical muzzleloading hunting. JMHO
  7. andersm1142 Member

8. Yellab BON Board of Director

I totally agree that if you purchase a scope with the BDC, then they may be specifically made for Muzzleloaders, I didnt consider that in my first post.

I also believe that for a Muzzleloader, if you can find one, a straight 4 or 6 power scope may be the best answer. I have mounted a Weaver Straight 6X scope on my MZ and am hoping to get to actually shoot something with it this year.
  9. bs2327 Member

Evenflow, how much did the cableas scope set you back with the bdc lines?
  10. Evenflow Member

The cabelas scope is around $100, plus the cost of whatever scope rings you put on it. Consider your longest shot w/ a muzzleloader is probably going to be in the 200 yard range give or take anything longer and your pushing it. You probably don't need an extreme high end scope to make an accurate 200 yard shot and in most cases your probably shooting less than a 100 yards. As for bullets...stay away from powerbelts, yes they are tempting because of ease of loading, but they do not group for anything. With shooting triple 7 pellets and hornady low drag sst sabots I was shooting 1 inch groups at a 100 yards...a fellow shooter at the range was using powerbelts and could not get two shots to hit even remotely close after seeing my groupings he said he was going straight to the store to buy some of the low drag hornady sabots.
  11. andersm1142 Member

Looking at your original question concerning the difference between a muzzleloader scope and a regular rifle scope there is usually only one difference. That is the parallax setting. Parallax settings in rifle scopes are usually fixed at 150 yds and muzzleloader/shotgun scopes are fixed at 75 yds. Some of the more high end target scopes have an adjustable parallax setting that is usually located on the side of the scope opposite of the turret knobs or it is located front bell objective of the scope. I don't quite understand what setting the parallax does exactly but I know that for long range shots(500 yds and up), it is much more critical for it to be set correct then not. It has something to do with the focus plane of the reticle verses the focus plane of the target or something like that. I do know that at typical hunting rifle ranges(300 yds or less) it really doesn't make that much difference. At normal muzzleloader ranges(100 yds or less), it most certainly doesn't make much difference. All that being said, for all practical purposes, there really isn't much difference between a muzzleloader/shotgun scope and a regular scope.
  12. Pro-Hunt Member

The big difference between a 'normal' scope and a muzzy scope is the eye relief. The nikon and Leupold muzzy scopes have 5 inches of eye relief compared to most scopes having 3 1/2 inches. When shooting a muzzy the extra eye relief is a VERY good thing!!!

I had the Nikon and switched to the Leupold because the leupold has a much bigger field-of-view and it seems to be a lot clearer. After having both and them being in basically the same price range it is my opinion that the leupold is a much better buy!!
  13. andersm1142 Member

Good point prohunt. I totally forgot about the longer eye relief that some of todays modern muzzleloader/shotgun scopes offer. However, if one needs 5 whole inches of eye relief on a scope in order not to get wacked in the face, then their stock is too small or they are not holding the gun correctly. JMHO
  14. Pro-Hunt Member

Well I have never been whacked by a scope on any gun I have seen two VERY experienced shooters get whacked by a normal scope on a muzzy. This happened while shooting off a good rest and bench.
    Knowing these guys and being there when it happened there is NO doubt it was due to lack of eye relief when shooting that muzzy.