1. You're seeing this notice because your currently a guest. By taking the time to register you'll unlock access to features such as the creating threads, posting replies, sending private messages, and commenting to articles at Huntingne.com.

Once you've registered you'll have to activate your account which your able to do by checking your e-mail to which you registered to (if you didn't receive your e-mail) try checking your spam folder.

Once you've registered this notice will disappear.

homemade dp traps pictorial. very picture heavy

Discussion in 'Trapping And Small Game Archives' started by ack, Aug 30, 2009.

1. ack New Member

hello! just a quick background on me. i live in n.w.ohio and have been trapping for about 35 years. after the rage on dp traps, i was kinda "challenged" on making a homemade dp trap. as a tool and die maker for the last 25 years i tried to come up with a method that most guys can make at home with very few tools. this design can be made with a hacksaw, drill motor, visegrip, and a welder. i have posted this pictorial on a couple other sites so hopefully i have most of the questions covered.

a member of this site asked if i would post it here so here goes.

here are some pics (alot clearer then last time!)of a trap i made yesterday with modifications i have found necessary. alot of guys have asked how to assemble one so hopefully these pics will answer those questions.

ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!

[IMG]

[IMG]
    here i am marking the spring for bending. it should be bent roughly 3/16 of an inch from the footstrap holes.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    note: i tape the springs together for assembly safety and ease only. as you can see in the following pics i use a squeeze type clamp to compress the springs while i wrap the footstrap wire. without taping the springs it is a much more difficult task not to mention the possibility of each spring going where it wants to, hence SAFTEY!
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. ack New Member

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    the next 2 pics show how i rotate the trap while the drill is running. this kind of grooves out the hole allowing the dog to rotate more freely. this step can be skipped, but if you try it, do it very slowly as the drill can and will break! hence- ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    don't fret the distance from the top of the notch in the trigger. 3/8 is about right. if its off just bend the dog so the footstrap is all the way open when set.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  3. ack New Member

4. tmrschessie Moderator

Thank you very much for the post. If you have time also post the one that does not need any welding. Guys here is something for you to do if you get bored. These traps work very well. Tom
  5. tmrschessie Moderator

I am looking to find a wire welder so I can make a few of these...really good looking traps. Tom
  6. knee jerk Member

The springs appear to be new. John Deere? Do you have a part number and estimated price?
  7. ack New Member

8. knee jerk Member

Thank you.
  9. Alec New Member

Could you list the parts it takes to make this kind of DP trap? I'm interested in making some of my own. How much does it relatively cost per trap?

Thanks