1. You're seeing this notice because your currently a guest. By taking the time to register you'll unlock access to features such as the creating threads, posting replies, sending private messages, and commenting to articles at Huntingne.com.

Once you've registered you'll have to activate your account which your able to do by checking your e-mail to which you registered to (if you didn't receive your e-mail) try checking your spam folder.

Once you've registered this notice will disappear.

EDIBLE Wild MUSHROOMS and Wild PLANTS in Nebraska?

Discussion in 'The Huntingne Chuckwagon' started by NEHUNTER83, Apr 6, 2011.

1. NEHUNTER83 New Member

Hello!
    Can anyone help by telling me what Mushrooms and Wild Plants can be found in Nebraska? In addition, can anyone give any tips about find them? I am always in the outdoors and would like to start looking for some to food from nature to enjoy. I live in the panhandle.
    I know that Morels can be found, what other edible mushrooms can be found? When is the best time and where do I look?
    I know that Asparagus can be found, what other edible wild plants/berries can be found? When can they be found and where do I look?
    If you guys can post a list for me, that would be great!
    Thanks in advance for all of your help!!!
  2. Willhuntforfood Well-Known Member

Many many edible plants, berries, and mushrooms are in NE. Google it. You are asking for a huge list. This state has lots of wild goodies to offer. Good Luck
  3. HAMMER Member

Wild plums and wild grapes are plentiful around here. Along with the shrooms and asparagus.
  4. huntingfreak Well-Known Member

what kind of areas do you typically find wild asparagus?
  5. skunkhunter Well-Known Member

I've found wild asparagus while turkey hunting the sandhills, along creek bottoms and low, wet places. I've tried a lot of the mushrooms that grow in Nebraska and most are ok to eat, but I'd check them out first. For instance, I love the elephant ears (fall) but my dad gets sick when he eats them so it pays to check things out first. Puffballs (mid summer)are delicious if you get them before they turn to dust inside. Sulphur Shelf and slickers (both mostly are ready late summer early fall) are also great eating. Hen in the Woods are found here (fall) but are few and far between. Elderberrys and wild choke cherries (late summer)make great jellies, and gooseberrys(May and June) are good pie material. Wild raspberries are everywhere in the eastern part of the state, along wooded areas and usually ripen about the middle of May to the middle of June. Most of the stuff I've eluded to I've found in the eastern part of the state. Don't know if they exist west of here or not.
  6. soylent green0018 Well-Known Member

Don't Forget mulberries! Great for making wine and jellies, but down right irresistible for just munching on while standing there picking them...
  7. NEHUNTER83 New Member

Great Advice Everyone. Any help on where to find them?
  8. Sorny BON Board of Director

we pick a lot of asparagus in the ditches around here... can't beat the wild stuff!! Morells on the river