1. You're seeing this notice because your currently a guest. By taking the time to register you'll unlock access to features such as the creating threads, posting replies, sending private messages, and commenting to articles at Huntingne.com.

Once you've registered you'll have to activate your account which your able to do by checking your e-mail to which you registered to (if you didn't receive your e-mail) try checking your spam folder.

Once you've registered this notice will disappear.

Conibear boxes

Discussion in 'Trapping, Varmint, And Small Game Hunting' started by dale2377, Aug 7, 2009.

1. dale2377 New Member

Can any members out there provide me with some photos and dimensions of conibear boxes for raccoon and mink? I am currently in Afghanistan with the US ARMY and will be returning home mid november. My son and I want to start trapping this year and I unfortunatley sold all my gear 9 years ago as I was too busy to trap. I have a friend willing to build me the cubbies I just have no access to any traps to give him dimensions for the boxes. I will be using 160 and 220 conibears for the raccoon boxes and 110 and 120 conibears for the mink boxes. Also does anyone have some dimensions for some weasel boxes using #11 dbl long springs or 1 1/2 coil springs. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    dale2377
  2. HAMMER Member

3. tmrschessie Moderator

These are dog resistant set ups. Tom

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  4. conibearguy Member

here is the one we use for coon except it is on the ground and not straight up and down.
    [IMG]
  5. dale2377 New Member

If possible could I get some rough dimensions, the friend who will be building them is not familiar with trap function, so I need dimensions off of a working box. I like the dog proof ones shown here, they just don't provide enough info for me to email him to start construction. Take a look at the dog proof boxes in the attached pdf and see what you think.

Attached Files:

6. tmrschessie Moderator

I make my boxes about 24 inches long on 4 sides,,,, put heavy wire screen on the back and reinforce with wood strips to insure the coon don't rip it off. Cut the slots for the conibear style trap about 3 inchs deep and 2 inches wide. Adjust for the 160's Tom
  7. tmrschessie Moderator

Dale, where do you call home? That would help a lot on determing some of the information you need.

Stay safe. Tom
  8. dale2377 New Member

My family and I live in Callaway, my father-in-law who will be building the boxes lives in lexington. I found a good dog proof standup box that attaches to a tree and I have started drawing one up in cad software to send him dimensions. He is not familiar with traps so I need to have a working design or I will be wasting his time and my wood! I will post a pdf of the finished box when I get it completed. FYI it averaged 127 degrees F the past week here in the Helmand Province of Afghanistan!
    Thanks,
    dale
  9. dale2377 New Member

Hey,
    The computers here were finally fast enough to see some of your pics and drawings. The posting by conibear guy is what I am looking for. I will post the drawings for my version when I get them completed. Should be done with the 220 size box in a few days.
    Take care,
    dale
  10. tmrschessie Moderator

The measurements, to be more specific, are from Matt Jones and Lynn Williams video on coon trapping...

Single Box: 24 inches Long, 9 1/2 inches high, wood only on the back half of the the floor. Lets the coon feel the ground as it is going in...
    Slot for 220 is 2 3/4 to 3 inches deep and 2 inches high. They attach a 14 ga wire to the box at the rear of the slot. Attach that wire to the back portion of the conibear style trap to help keep the coon from pulling the trap out. I just make a loop and scew the wire to the box.
    The double box is 36 inches long with notches cut in both ends, bait is placed in the middle on the partial floor.

Set a log etc or drill a hole in the rear and run a T stake down to keep the coon from flipping the box over.

put a handle on to facilitate carrying the boxes in and out. I make mine from # 9 wire and screw them to the top of the box near the middle.

I use the single box with great success. Here is one made from some scrap wood...

[IMG]

Here is a picture of a wire version of the double box ...

[IMG]
  11. dale2377 New Member

Thanks for all the information guys! This will give me a few different concepts to try and see what works the best!
    Thanks,
    Dale
  12. cooncrazy New Member

Man tom that last wire box is a trip. I'd love to own a few.
  13. tmrschessie Moderator

It belongs to a friend of my from Alabama, they are simple to make if you have some wire and a couple pieces of 2x4 to do the bending. Hog rings or wire will work to clamp things together. The bait box was added as an after thought and can be loaded with bait from the top. Tom