1. You're seeing this notice because your currently a guest. By taking the time to register you'll unlock access to features such as the creating threads, posting replies, sending private messages, and commenting to articles at Huntingne.com.

Once you've registered you'll have to activate your account which your able to do by checking your e-mail to which you registered to (if you didn't receive your e-mail) try checking your spam folder.

Once you've registered this notice will disappear.

calamus?

Discussion in 'BowFishing' started by Travis C., May 24, 2012.

1. Travis C. Member

Am trying to plan a short fishing trip, anyone shot calamus recently? Whats the water like, and fish activity?
  2. Jon-Barta Active Member

I have not been up this spring yet but tried shooting last fall. After the die off, not much left in the way of carp. Pretty amazing after years and years of incredible numbers to shoot at.
  3. coyoteshooter Member

i live in Burwell, and the water is super clear with plenty of fish to shoot at just nothing with any size, went out yesterday and shot 15 in about an hour.
  4. Sorny BON Board of Director

The carp in there have allways been on the small side. I would find it rather amazing if the die off had any effect on the carp population in that lake.
  5. daryl bauer Member

6. Yellab BON Board of Director

Daryl, Obviously 200,000 carp is a significant number, but if a pointy headed fisheries guy were to make an educated guess - What Percent of the Carp population did that 200,000 represent? Furthermore, not knowing the answer to the first question, if the other XXX,XXX,XXX number of carp in the lake spawned in 2011, and are/have/will spawn in 2012, and into the future, won't we be back to the carrying capacity of Calamus in a relatively short period?

Also, in your blog post, you mentioned that most of the fish were in the same size class - 15 to 20 inches and could be from same or similar year classes - my question about that is, 85% to 90% (my educated guess) of the carp in that lake have been that size for years, they don't seem to get any larger in great numbers. To me this indicated the lake was at carrying capacity of the fish and limited growth more than age class. Just curious what your thoughts are.
  7. daryl bauer Member

We have never done a population estimate on the actual numbers of common carp in Calamus Reservoir, so any answer I give you would be an "educated" guess at best and my "education" may not be all that much better than anyone else's. I can tell you that the carp die-off at Calamus was significant, enough that there was a notable decline in the numbers of carp, a notable decline in catch rates for those folks fishing for carp. I would guess, and let me emphasize the "guess" part, at least a third, and maybe much more of the adult carp population died. But, they didn't all die.

I will always tell you that removal projects for common carp are usually a waste of time because the survivors will quickly repopulate. I am sure that is likely to happen at Calamus too, but maybe other fish, even gamefish will be able to take advantage of their being less carp and maybe that will mean less carp in the future or at least a longer "recovery" period? We will have to wait and see.

Certainly there were a darned lot of common carp of about the same size in Calamus when the die-off occurred. Almost all of the carp that died were about the same size. Yes, that may have meant that the reservoir was near carrying capacity for that size of carp, and most of those fish were likely the same age or close to the same age. Most if not all of those carp may have been produced in the same year, the same gigantic year-class produced when conditions were just right for those carp to survive. It appears that there were so many of that size of carp competing with each other that they were in poor condition, stressed and then more susceptible to diseases like the Koi herpes virus that caused the die-off.

Hope my ramblings make sense,

Daryl Bauer
    Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
    Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
    daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
    http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/
  8. Yellab BON Board of Director

Thank you for responding, we always appreciate your willingness to communicate and educate.
  9. daryl bauer Member

You're welcome, I love doing it.

Daryl B.
    leathal injection and HeadHunter like this.