1. You're seeing this notice because your currently a guest. By taking the time to register you'll unlock access to features such as the creating threads, posting replies, sending private messages, and commenting to articles at Huntingne.com.

Once you've registered you'll have to activate your account which your able to do by checking your e-mail to which you registered to (if you didn't receive your e-mail) try checking your spam folder.

Once you've registered this notice will disappear.

Anyone ( else) know what sort of fish this is?

Discussion in 'BowFishing' started by Krag1902, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Krag1902 Member

I've had a yen to collect a specimen of this species since becoming enamored with it back in 1971, but I never laid eyes on one until '99 when I spotted one in the Republican River. On a recent four day fish safari to the Missouri River ( took 14 species and my first smallmouth bass) I saw four the first day along a fifty yard beachy span between two stretches of rock. Each encounter resulted in a heartbreaking miss at these hard-to-see little fish. Figuring they favored this habitat, I returned to the spot every hour or so. I finally caught one feeding atop a submerged log fairly close to the surface. I hurried a twenty foot shot and bored him through the middle. I'm sure passing boaters wondered why the old man in waders was jumping up and down on a riverbank.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      869.7 KB
      Views:
    • 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      869.7 KB
      Views:
    • 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      869.7 KB
      Views:
    Fshnhnt likes this.
  2. Krag1902 Member

To spare Daryl Bauer from chiming in ( feel free though), I'll identify this foot long organism as a shorthead redhorse. Incidentally, this is my first sucker of any sort since 1990.
  3. Yellab BON Board of Director

When I was younger we spent much time fishing and camping Lake Oahe. The redhorse sucker was a common catch on our lines, especially in the evenings when we would bank fish with nightcrawlers.

Last week I shot my first Blue Sucker from the Missouri River, a 6 to 7 pound exhibit. I have only seen these a couple times at tournament weigh-ins and I think they may be the ugliest fish to swim in our fresh water habitats. I thought it was a buffalo when I released my arrow, but it did prove to be a new species that I had never harvested.
  4. daryl bauer Member

Thanks "Krag 1902". That certainly is a shorthead redhorse.

For anyone that is interested, there is a little fish identification key here, http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/fishing/guides/identification/search.asp . Be careful, if you spend some time playing around there, you might learn a thing or two about Nebraska fish and their identification. The shorthead redhorse is included here, http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/fishing/guides/identification/chart10.asp .

Daryl Bauer
    Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
    Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
    daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
    http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/
  5. Krag1902 Member

Thanks for the validation Daryl. We both know a spotted gar when we see one, don't we?
  6. daryl bauer Member

Well, I think so.

Daryl B.